Contributors

Search This Blog

This is what 27 looks like...

Thursday, October 23


Another year older, another year wiser. Wednesday was my first day as a 27 year old. After a certain point, people stop asking you how being another year older feels and just start asking you how it feels to be old. But I don't feel old. I definitely feel older (maybe not much wiser...), but I don't feel old. Old is a mindset. I've met plenty of people who are old according to their age, but still young according to their life philosophy. Personally, I can't wait to turn 30, 40, 50! Each year the hours, days, and weeks seem to move more quickly as time seems to slip away from our grasp. I remember being ten years old and summer felt like it lasted forever. Now summer is just a dream of years passed. (There's no such thing as summer in the working world.) Each month I find myself wondering how we got here so fast - how is almost November already?! - soon it will be Christmas, then New Years, and before I know it, I'll be 28 years old, wondering what happened to 2015. But as much as people tell you to live in the present, I can't help but think about the future. I'm so excited about the rest of my life, I can't wait to see what happens! It's like watching a movie, in fast forward. You get the gist of it of but the details are lost on you. The little things that get glossed over when you're more concerned about the big picture. I spent a lot of 26 focusing on the big picture, and it didn't really put me any closer to getting there. So this year, I want to focus more on the details. I'm excited about getting older, but I'm in no rush to get there. Time does a pretty good job of rushing things on its own.












My first day as a 27 year old was... eating a big ass breakfast from the deli next door, catching up on my guilty pleasure (Revenge) with my feline companions nearby, eating lunch with an old friend in a new place, toasting to a new year with champagne, and cooking a (semi) elaborate dinner with the man I love, while The Cable Guy played on as background noise. Oh, and donuts for dessert because, hey, it's my birthday.

I think 27 is going to be a good year. (I mean, it started with donuts. That's a good start.)

10 comments:

kaylah,  October 24, 2014 at 8:08 AM  

Happy Belated Birthday! Your hair looks SO cute that length.

Sarah October 25, 2014 at 8:14 AM  

Happy Birthday! I am definitely excited about the rest of my life too, what more fun things will the next years bring? Although it is dizzying how quickly the years go by. I hope you have an awesome year of being 27!

Marine October 26, 2014 at 4:42 PM  

Thanks!! And every time I wash and massage my hair I think "Grow, grow, grow!" in hopes that it will listen ;)

Marine October 26, 2014 at 4:43 PM  

Thank you!! I hope so too!

Camille Leisy,  October 29, 2014 at 12:18 PM  

" I spent a lot of 26 focusing on the big picture, and it didn't really put me any closer to getting there. So this year, I want to focus more on the details. " YAYAYAY good post! Happy Birthday again :) And I love your new layout!!

Erin October 29, 2014 at 3:00 PM  

Happy happy belated birthday! Welcome to the club! I'm aging out in just a few weeks (ack!) but I'd like to have even an ounce of your optimism about aging. I don't know why I'm so down on 27, it was my best year yet! PS- is that donut from Federal donuts?? I think I spy some of their special sugar on it. Noms. xo

Marine October 29, 2014 at 3:32 PM  

Thanks!! I have good feels about 27. I try to be optimistic about most things; no sense in feeling down about things when the elements are mostly out of our control - might as well be positive about it! And yep, your eyes are great - those are definitely some Federal donuts! That was the one and only thing I really wanted on my birthday, so I made a special trip for it! :)

Erin October 31, 2014 at 8:28 AM  

A girl after my own heart!! I know my donuts well (sadly?) and that one made my mouth water. I don't live more than a 10 minutes walk from Federal Donuts in center city, so one day we have to meet up and gorge! xo

Marine October 31, 2014 at 6:12 PM  

Yes, please!! That is such an amazing part of the city to live in - all the best restaurants and cafes right at your fingertips! I'm jealous! Perhaps you could give me a tour of your favorites.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger Template - Simple n' Sweet