Contributors

Search This Blog

Dresses (& Other Fashion Stuff)

Thursday, March 10


1 | 2 | 3

Earlier this year, I mentioned my shopping goal (or lack there-of). I am very proud to say that I have been fairly successful so far! I've only been out physically shopping three times.... and I don't quite count the first time because it wasn't mindless shopping, I went with a specific goal in mind. I also went shopping with my sister a few weeks ago, but it wasn't so much for me as it was to help her find some new pieces. And today I went out to look for a sports bra, which I ended up finding, but I also came home with a poncho, and I was so tempted to come home with a dress.

I've been looking for a basic every-day kinda dress. Of course, I wouldn't actually wear the dress every day... but I think you know what I mean. Something that works with sneakers and a jacket to run errands, but also something that I could easily dress up with a nice necklace and flats. There are so many options out there! Today I tried on two of them. The Anthropologie dress looked cute on its own, but even better when the fitting room attendant gave me a belt to wear with it. I kinda fell in love! Then I went to Athleta (looking for sports bras) and tried on this dress in black, which, with my curves, was WOWZA. (Seriously though, I felt so sexy! In a casual, girl-next-door kinda way.) The models in these photos really don't do either of those dresses justice. But then there's also the skater dress I've been admiring on Etsy for a while.... though after today I'm partial to the ones I'm able to try on. All three are at different price points. I'm definitely going to buy one as part of my 7-pieces. But which one?! Any thoughts about this are appreciated!

I've been talking a bit more often about fashion here this year because I'm really trying to pin down my style. The other day my sister and I were talking about it and she said "In high school you had a pretty good feel for it, and had a lot of good pieces, but you didn't have the knowledge to piece them all together in a way that made any sort of sense." I've been thinking about that... I've always been attracted to bold patterns, bright colors, and structured pieces, but as I've aged I have really learned to appreciate the quality that a good neutral piece brings to a wardrobe. Last year I focused on neutrals and now my closet is overrun with (mostly dark) solid colors, but pieces that have good structure to them. This year (basic dress aside...) I want to focus on bringing some color back in, and adding my personality back into my closet. I can't deny how good I feel wearing black skinny jeans and a white button-up, but I also know that I'm a little more fun than that, and I would like that to find the right pieces to highlight that but that still fit in with the rest of the wardrobe I've cultivated.

Cultivating a minimalist wardrobe that properly represents the person you are is tricky stuff, dude! How do I build a uniform that still has some personality to it? Have any of you been working towards that too?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger Template - Simple n' Sweet